2. Most effective form of cardio: Other forms of cardio just don’t compare to the burn you achieve when running! In a study performed by the Medical College of Wisconsin the treadmill burned more calories/hour than the stair stepper, cross-country skier, stationary bike, and rower (all used at a “hard” exertion level). Want to maximize your cardio time? Do it running!!
6. Simplicity: One thing that I love about running is EVERYONE can do it! There’s no fancy equipment; no class you have to go to; you’re not even confined to one location. You can run anywhere, anytime, for as long as you want to, for as far as you want to, independent of anyone or anything else.
7. You actually live longer: Not only do runners have fewer disabilities and remain active longer than those who don’t run, they actually live longer. Even as weekly running times tend to decrease as we get older, the healthy benefits keep on going. Enjoy a longer and more healthy life!
9. Better for your joints: Many people believe “running will give me arthritis later on in life”. Oh if I could but dispel this fallacy! Running has not been significantly linked to the development of arthritis later in life. Quite the contrary, actually!! Do you know what the biggest risk factor for developing arthritis is (besides age)? Body weight! The more mass you have the more stress you put on your joints which results in a higher development of joint-related problems. Runners tend to be less overweight than their sedentary counterparts resulting in an actual decrease in arthritis incidence among those who run regularly.
10. Get some much needed “ME” time: Another thing that I’ve always loved about running – NO DISTRACTIONS! In a world of increasing information available 24 hours a day literally at our fingertips we often forget to take time for ourselves. Think about it – waiting in the doctor’s office, sitting on the bus, even the last time you went to the bathroom – I’m willing to bet you had your phone to check emails, look at social media, or play some Candy Crush. I think we’re losing the ability to self-reflect because we don’t ever give ourselves time to do so. Enter RUNNING! It’s 20-60 minutes a day when I know I won’t be distracted by emails, phone calls, or what my friends ate for lunch that day. And this is a more-than-welcome break!
With these and literally countless other health benefits of running, you simply can’t afford not to!! So get out and try it! If it’s around the block or around 15 blocks, trust me – you’ll be glad you did!
Do you hurt when you run? We would LOVE to see you in one of our clinics! We have an entire team of certified professionals who have been trained extensively to treat runners and running-related injuries.
Check out our CONTACT page to ask questions, find a clinic near you, and get scheduled today!
Jared Beckstrand, PT, DPT
Fit Stop Physical Therapy – Farmington